Full day hike. Historical heritage of bronze to late iron age
Pick up at hotel in Riga at 7:30
1,5 hours ride to the point of destination – Raiskums village, vicinity of Cesis, (Riga 87 km)
Short hike to the introduction point – ”Green Class” – a forest accustomed campsite. The overview of the hike, short chill-out, tea, coffee, water.
Full day (6 hours) hike in the most natural and ancient forests of Gauja wally to discover:
- Baltic Finn stone pile burial site – 5th century BC
- most ancient dwelling sites along the lakeside
- medieval border stone in the deep ice age valley
- “Sepultura ignotum” or Unknown grave
- the most striking medieval stronghold of the upper Gauja valley- Castrum Sotekele .
- picnic lunch* on Gauja river side (camping) – tasting of fresh and newly oven/fire baked exceptional local product delicacies
- historical activities available (archery range, javelin games, blade run)
- Pick up in the middle of forest and drive back to civilised world.
Hiking difficulty: medium
Approximate time in the wild: 8 h
walking shoes requested. walking sticks provided. drinking water provided. terrain – rough, environment – every type of post Ice Age Northern forest growth.